Thursday, November 19, 2009

Guns


Long ago when I was a new mother of one perfect boy, I made a promise to myself to NEVER let my boy have a gun, sword, or any other weapon to PLAY with in my home. The very idea of any of these things made me uneasy-- full of anxiety. It was about 18 months later, that my perfect boy, not knowing of my promise, chewed his toast into a gun and shot me.


Seven perfect boys and one perfect girl later, I have made a new promise to myself. I will not let anxiety over the unknown prevent me from being fair, judicious, and wise. My feelings about weapons and my home have changed. I want my kids, and myself to have an exposure that expands our knowledge base to a point of becoming safe and proficient. I want my kids to have their questions answered and curiosity satisfied within the bounds of safe and real learning. I am glad to live in Idaho where this can happen naturally.

1 comment:

  1. Lynnelle, congrats on the blog -- it's wonderful, you'll love that you've made the time to do this.

    We can embrace guns now! Whooopeee. I love how you can take your time and change over time. What's good one year, may not be good the next and that's what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete

Our Family

Our Family
Summer 2009